Lab Blog

home > Lab Blog

SSHS LAB NEWS (2010)

관리자 │ 2021-10-24

HIT

February, 2010, Welcome new members!

SSS Lab would like to welcome a new member, Yeol-Hun Sung, to the lab. Sung Yeol-Hun has joined SSS lab as a M.S. candidate. He graduated with his Bachelor’s Degree in December, 2010 from KAIST with Aerospace Engineering as his major. He was the president of club ‘ICARUS’ – KAIST Flight Research Team(guided by Prof. Han) – in the year 2010. At this club, he designed new kind of morphing wing structure, and his team developed an RC airplane which applied this morphing mechanism. This airplane won the first prize at the ’11th Model Plane Competition’ hosted by the state of Gyeongsang Nam-do. He research interests include morphing wing and bio-inspired aircrafts such as flapping wing plane.

December 2010, Yoo Eun-Jung receives Ph.D

December 2010, Dr. Park’s Wedding

Dr. Park Ki-Yeon, an alumnus of SSS lab who received his Ph.D degree under the guidance of Prof. Han, got married on Dec. 5, 2010. The wedding ceremony was officiated by Professor In Lee, and many people attended to celebrate and bless his marriage. Congratulations and best wishes!!!

October 2010, The 7th Short Couse on UAV Technology

The Korean Society for Aeronautical and Space Sciences held “the 7th short couse on UAV technology” on October 28-29, 2010, at KAIST. During the occassion, Prof. Han gave a course on “Flight characteristics and Control of Bio-inspired Air Vehicles.”

September 2010, International Astronautical Congress

Jae San Yoon from SSS lab attended 61st International Astronautical Congress held in Prague, Czech Republic on September 27~October 1. In the congress he presented a research on “Development of a Precise Measurement System for the Dimensional Change of the High Stable Telescope Structure in Space Environment.”

September 2010, ASME 2010 Conference on Smart Materials, Adaptive Structures and Intelligent Systems

September 2010, World Automation Congress 2010

September 2010, The 3rd International Conference on Multi-Functional Materials and Structures

September 2010, ICARUS wins awards in GSNU National Model Airplane Design Competition

KAIST Flight Research Team ICARUS, guided by Prof. Han, has won the 1st and 5th place prize in CTOL section in the 11th GSNU National Model Airplane Design Competition held on September 3~4 at Gyeong Sang National University.  Congraturations and keep up the good work!!!

September 2010, Welcome new members!

SSS Lab would like to welcome two new members, Jung Ho-Kyeong and  Kandala Shanti Swaroop, to the lab. Jung Ho-Kyeong has joined SSS lab as a part time Ph.D course student. He is currently working in Korea Aerospace Research Institute (KARI). His research interest includes launch vehicle pyroshock isolation.

Kandala Shanti Swaroop comes from Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India and will take his M.S. course in SSS lab. Kandala has graduated with his Bachelor’s Degree in May, 2009 from Vignan Institute of Technology and Science under under the affiliation of Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Hyderabad with Mechanical Engineering as his major. He is interested in microvibration isolation for optical payloads.

August 2010, Lab Workshop

On August 20, SSS lab held lab workshop for the second half of the year 2010. We reviewed personal and lab activities done in the first half of the year 2010 and talked about the plans for the remaining year.

July 2010, SSS Lab on CCTODAY

There is an article about SSS lab’s research concerning bio-inspired ornithopter on local news papaer (충청투데이, web: CCTODAY.CO.KR). To view the article click HERE (the article is in Korean).

July 2010, Jong Won Lee goes to military training

SSS Lab’s Jong Won Lee has gone to military training for 4 weeks in order to complete his duty to Korea. We wish Jong Won a healthy and memorable time. Can you find Jong Won in the picture below? Good Luck~

June 2010, Prof. Han’s trip to Europe

Prof. Han was in Europe from June 20 ~29 visiting various places and people. He visited DNW (the German-Dutch Wind Tunnels), the German Aerospace Center DLR, Technische Universität München (Technical University of Munich, TUM), Stockburger Consulting and Cambridge. It was a busy but a meaningful trip.

June 2010, SSS Lab. on DONGA Science

There is an article on June issue of DONGA Science about bio-inspired ornithopter research in SSS Lab. The article contains the past and ongoing researches concerning bio-inspired ornithopter in SSS Lab as well as general information and some potential application fields of flapping wing robots. Unfortunately, the article cannot be posted due to copyright reasons (The article is available on http://www.dongascience.com/ds/, but the full view is limited to its members).

May 2010, Wind Power Conference & Exhibition

Hong-Il Kim and Jong-Won Lee attended wind power conference and exhibition held in Dallas, USA, from May 23 to 26. The size of the exhibition was immense and the heat of competition from wind power related companies could be felt. It was enriching experience for them.

May, 2010 Ju-Ho Lee awarded

On 11th of May, SSS Lab. member Ju-Ho Lee received Excellence Award for his outstanding academic performance by the School of Mechanical, Aerospace and Systems Engineering, KAIST. We would like to congratulate Ju-Ho Lee for his award. We are all proud to have our lab. member receive such an award.

Apr. 2010 SSS Lab. on KBS News

SSS Lab. featured on KBS (Dae Jeon) morning news. The news was on bio-inspired engineering, and SSS Lab’s research on bio-inspired ornithopter was first to be introduced.

Apr. 2010 KSAS Spring Conference

Feb. 2010, New SSSLAB members’re joined

In this new semester, we have new members, Jae-Won Park(right) and Juho Lee(left). Both students were graduated from the department of aerospace engineering, KAIST. We made a short interview with them. 

[by Jaewon Park] Nice to meet you, everyone. I am a new master’s degree student in the Smart Systems and Structures laboratory at KAIST. When I was concerned about choosing lab, the word ‘smart’ appealed to me because it literally sounds smart! Smart materials provide great potential to advance in aerospace engineering opening a door to new mechanisms of actuating and sensing. For me, those advanced systems seem so interesting and promising. Especially, it is bio-inspired flapping flyers that drew my attention to smart systems and structures. However, now I am trying to broaden my view because I am aware that there exist a lot of research fields for me to be able to choose. I hope that I can find my way soon. I am so familiar with this campus, especially ME building, because I spent my undergraduate days at KAIST majoring aerospace engineering. I have once tried to get out of the boundary named KAIST to pursue something new and challengeable, but I am still here and now I think that it is I that explore and build something new around myself wherever I am. In SSS laboratory, there are a lot of smart and brilliant people who ceaselessly develop themselves and create something in their research area under the guidance of a young, progressive professor. Although I am still immature and inexperienced with a superficial specialty, I will join the research activity in this lab with all my efforts and pleasure. 

[by Juho Lee] Greetings! My name is Juho Lee and I graduated Daegu Science High school and KAIST undergraduate in Aerospace Engineering. I joined SSS Lab. as Master Candidate to be a world class researcher in future. I think KAIST and SSS Lab. have infinite potential and ability to help to achieve this goal. Of course, I will do my best based on many experiences (internship at KIER, summer session at UC. Berkeley, KAIST URP program, KAIST tutoring tutor in general physics and vector calculus, airship competition in Japan, etc.) and knowledge from undergraduate. Our Lab. consists of passionate, talented, considerate professor and seniors. Of course, I will proceed to Doctoral Candidate after Master Candidate.  I’m interested in Solar-powered HALE UAV. I want to contribute to this area and cause paradigm shift from old concepts. I am experimenting on 3D shape estimation of wing flutter and helicopter rotor by using Eagle camera system. Also, I’m preparing a proposal for Solar-Manpower aircraft. This project will be interesting and challenging, too. I hope many future lab member enjoy these subjects with me. Thank you! 

Moreover, last month, new lab secretary, Ms. Bang, Ji-Yeon, also joined to SSSLAB. She will make our laboratory better, especially in the administrative works related to projects.

March 2010, Happy Birthday Prof. Han!

March 2010, Friendly Football Match w/ Professors

Friendly football match was held on March 3, 2010 between SSS Lab. members and KAISTERS (Football Club of KAIST Professors) It was a great opportunity to meet professors in various departments in KAIST, and we had a great time and much fun. We are hoping for a rematch in the near future!

February 2010, Commencement Ceremony

Commencement ceremony for KAIST graduates was held on February 26, 2010. We would like to congraturate SSS Lab. members, Kang Lae-Hyong for his Ph.D degree, Lee Dong-Hun and Lee Dong-Kyu Lee for their M.S. degree, and Lee Ju-Ho for his B.S. degree.

January 2010, New Year’s Party

SSS Lab. and ISVC Lab held a joint new year’s party on Janunary 9, 2010. Prof. Han, Prof. Lee, as well as many alumni and current students attended the party. It was great time for everybody to get together and become closer to each other. We wish for healthy and fruitful year for everybody!

이전글 SSHS LAB NEWS (2009)
다음글 SSHS LAB NEWS (2011)